Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Be Still

Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still, and know that I am God." Of all the commandments given throughout the Bible, I think this is the hardest one for me to obey. I find it extremely difficult to be still. I feel the need to stay busy. After all, there is always something to be done. And, when I can finally get my body to be still, my mind is running in circles. Where should I send this article? How are we going to get all the youth to the Youth Retreat? What was it that I thought of earlier that I need to pick up from the grocery store? Boy, I blew it today! And the list goes on and on.

Why is it so important for us to be still anyway? Doesn't God want us to be productive? Yes, He does, but not to the extent that we lose our focus. God wants us to take some time to rest and to dwell on the fact that He is God. In other words: He is our Creator. He is our Helper. He is our Salvation. He is our King. He is our Friend. He is our Comforter. He is our Hope. He is our Counselor. To sum it all up, He is ALL we need.

If I'll just be still long enough to let that sink in, my life will be forever changed. "Be still, and know that I am God." It's not just a command. It's a necessity of life!

No comments: