Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

I despise making decisions. Often, when faced with a difficult decision, I envy the days of my youth when any choice could easily be made by the flawless "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" method. Such is not the case anymore.

Sometimes, I think I try so hard to make the right decision that I over-analyze and make things far more complicated than they should be. It's so important to me to follow the Lord's will. And, while it may be important, it is certainly not always easy to know what His will is. Some things are spelled out in the Bible. Thou shalt not kill, steal, lie, etc. It's there in black and white. Other things are not quite so obvious.

At times like this, it is imperative to listen intently for the still, small voice of God. Sounds easy, right? WRONG!!! Sometimes it's hard, and many times, it involves patience. (Yuck!) In fact, there have been times when I've tried so hard and waited so long for an answer that I've just given up and done whatever I thought was best. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, it ended in disaster. So, why, at this moment, when faced with another decision and no sound from God, do I want to take matters into my own hands again? Haven't I learned my lesson? Somewhat. I haven't taken things into my hands . . . yet. I'm only thinking about it. That alone shows growth--small growth, but growth nonetheless. Oh, how I wish there were a Miracle-Gro for the Christian life!

So, what am I going to do? I'm going to try to wait. And while I'm waiting, I'll continue to listen. I guess, for right now, that's God's will for me.

Give ear to my prayer, O God; and hide not thyself from my supplication.
Psalm 55:1

No comments: