Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My Thoughts Afar Off

Psalm 139 says, O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. . .thou understandest my thought afar off. Now, I know that the meaning of this verse is that God understands our thoughts when He is afar off, but the other day, I saw another possible meaning.

I was having my daily devotions, and for the life of me, I could not keep my mind focused. My thoughts were wandering all over the place. After repeating the same prayer request for the third time, I got really frustrated with myself, and the Lord brought Psalm 139 to my mind. I laughed. The way I look at it is that it's not God who is afar off, it's my thoughts. They're way out there, but even then, the Lord understands. He knows what I mean to say and what I'm trying to express, even though many times I feel that I don't know myself. He understands my thoughts, even when they are not focused where they should be.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating letting our thoughts run wild all the time. I'm just saying that it's good to know that during those times when our thoughts seem out of control and out of our grasp, the Lord knows and understands. What a great God we serve!

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts.
Psalm 139:23

No comments: