Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Vengeance is Mine

In my daily Bible study this week, I've been reading through the story of Esther. Today, I got to my favorite part--the part where Haman thinks he is about to receive a reward from the king only to be told that the reward is going to his hated enemy, Mordecai. I love it! Every time I read through the passage, I can see in my mind's eye Haman's expression as it changes from one of a cocky smirk to a look of total disbelief.

And, as if vengeance wasn't well served at that point, the story goes on to tell how he was hanged on the very gallows that he had built for Mordecai. Justice is complete, and I couldn't have done it better myself!

This story always reminds me of Romans 12:19 which says "Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord." So many times in life,we try to take justice into our own hands. When someone wrongs us, our fleshly nature feels the need to repay that wrong. Not only is this response bad because it often leads us to committing sin. But, it is also wrong in that we are trying to take the place of God. Who are we to judge and determine punishment? We are not worthy of such a role.

To me, the story of Haman is always a reminder that God will handle the injustices in my life, and He will handle them far better than I ever could.

Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.
Psalm 82:8

No comments: