Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

God Works in Mysterious Ways

This morning I went outside to do my devotions. I was reading and meditating when out of the corner of my eye, I saw this white blur. Looking in that direction, I saw my dog, Mitch, running as fast as he could run with his long white rope dangling from his mouth. He made circles around the yard, running and growling. I can't describe the sight to you, but it was so funny that I laughed uncontrollably. The more he ran around, the harder I laughed. The more I laughed, the more he wanted to run. I guess he liked the approval.

I looked at Tippy, my older dog, who was just staring at Mitch like he'd lost his mind. "He's a mess. Isn't he?" I said to her. (Yes, I talk to my dogs. Get over it.) But, then the thought hit me of how much we have enjoyed having Mitch as part of our family. He's been a real joy. That thought in itself isn't strange, but the thought that followed was that we never would have gotten Mitch if Tessa hadn't passed away.

I believe Tessa's passing was God's way of directing us to another one of His creatures that needed love and care. If you had seen Mitch when he was at the pound, it would have broken your heart. I've seen a lot of "puppy dog eyes," but he was truly pitiful. I've never seen anyone or anything look as lost and abandoned as he did. Today, he doesn't even look like the same dog. He is happy and energetic, lovable and rotten.

He will never take Tessa's place, and I don't think God intended for him to. But, I do believe God worked this out, even though it's hard to understand and even sometimes hard to accept. But, I love Mitch. In just the few months we've had him, he has wiggled his way into my heart, and life with him is VERY interesting. I would love to have my Tessa back, but I see now that the Lord was working things for the good. It is true that God's ways are not our ways. The sooner we accept that, the better off life will be.

For my thoughts are not your thought, neither are you ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Isaiah 55:8

No comments: