Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, September 4, 2008

"No" Is Not a Dirty Word

In my devotional reading of From Clutter to Clarity today, I read the chapter entitled "No Is Not a Dirty Word." In it, the author dealt with one of my biggest problems--overextending myself. A while back I received a grand revelation: I am NOT Superwoman. I can't be everything to everybody, and frankly, I'm tired of trying.

I have agonized over how to make everything fit into my schedule, and I finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't all going to happen. So, I had to start making some changes. I had to start cutting some things out. And most of all, I had to figure out how to get myself to utter that horrible little two-letter word: NO!

I admit, I'm not where I need to be, but I have gotten better. Some people have not responded well to the "new" me. Some were offended when I told them "No." Others were perplexed when I handed them back the job that they were supposed to be doing but I had so graciously taken from them because "they were so busy." I think I've even lost a few friends through the process, and that hurts me greatly. But, the fact is, I am doing what I feel the Lord wants me to do. I am trying to listen to His direction in my life and to only take on the tasks that He has prepared for me. Granted, sometimes it's hard to hear His voice amidst the noise of life, but I'm trying. May God give me the grace to succeed.

The lesson this morning simply reminded me that while life is complicated, it doesn't have to be as complicated as I often make it. If I would stop doing what I think is best and stayed more in tune with the Lord's will for my life, there would be a lot more joy in the journey.

So, if you're feeling overwhelmed today, first ask yourself if you've taken on more than you can deal with. If so, ask the Lord to give you wisdom in sorting out which things are truly His will and which ones you should give up. Second, train yourself in the art of using that precious word, "no." Third, when others don't like it, remind yourself that your only responsibility is to please God. Beyond that, nothing else matters.

Happy traveling!

And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
Luke 10:41-42

No comments: