Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, October 2, 2008

O Taste and See

O taste and see that the LORD is good. (Psalm 34:8a) What an interesting verse. I mean, for David to say, "See that the Lord is good" is nothing unusual, but taste? How does one taste the Lord? I believe it is an expression similar to what we use today. We often say, "let me get a taste of it" or "let me get the feel for it." In other words, let me experience it and get the hang of it. Wow! That's powerful! What could our lives be like if we allowed ourselves to fully experience God, to "get a handle" on his love, mercy, and grace. I don't think we'd be able to control ourselves.

I read this verse in my Bible reading this morning, but I was also thinking it when I first woke up. This is, by far, my favorite time of year. I love this season! I like the colors. I like the temperatures. I like the freshness the air holds. I just love it! Last night, we opened up our windows and allowed the fresh air to cool the house. When I awoke this morning, I was snuggled deep into my covers, for the air was indeed cool. I took a deep breath and savored the crisp, fresh air as it energized and renewed me. Through my window, I could see the bright blue sky and the sunlight as it began to warm the earth. My first thought was 'Wow, God is good.'

Think about it. He didn't have to give us the different seasons. He could have allowed us to have Summer all year round, or worse yet, Winter. But, in His goodness, He allows us to experience four seasons, each with their own unique characteristics and attributes. To me, the change of seasons is just another reminder of what a great God I serve and how mighty He is. If you haven't done so already, go outside and take a deep breath. Enjoy the sunshine and the fresh air. And, take a minute to thank the Lord for such a privilege.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments: