Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Source of My Song

Since the week of Christmas, I've been on Cloud Nine. I'm not sure why, but I've had such joy and peace for the past couple of weeks. That is, until yesterday. Yesterday, I fell off my cloud.

It's not that any one bad thing happened. It was just a bad day. I received three different phone calls telling me that someone I know was either sick or in the hospital. I worked for hours on a writing project that just would NOT come together. Then, to top it all off, I paid the bills. (Does anyone else get depressed while doing this?) I went to bed tired, tense, and frustrated.

In my prayer time this morning, I was pouring my heart out to the Lord. I told Him of my disappointment of not being on Cloud Nine anymore. I explained to Him how precious it was to have such peace, joy, and faith like I had had for the past couple of weeks. Then I said these words, "But, I guess it had to end some time. After all, I can't always be on Cloud Nine."

No sooner had the words left my mouth that the Lord reminded me of a song by Rodney Griffin.

The source of my song is the Savior.
The reason for my singing is the Man from Galilee.
It does not depend upon my circumstances,
For Jesus is the source of my song.


I got the point! Who says we can't always be on Cloud Nine? If Jesus is truly the source of our song, bad days shouldn't get us down. Instead, they should remind us of how good God has been to us and aware of what He's trying to teach us.

Today has been a little better than yesterday, but I still don't feel the peace I had before. However, I know I can have that peace if I will keep focusing on Christ instead of the circumstances around me.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8

No comments: