Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, January 29, 2009

We Are Not Forsaken

I am currently reading through the book of Isaiah, and I admit that a lot of it goes completely over my head. I have to be very careful when I read passages like this because I find myself reading the words without really paying attention to what I'm reading. I often catch myself doing this and make myself go back and read it again.

Every now and then, there is a verse or two that just jump off the page. I don't know why or how, but some verses reach out and grab me. The verse that really got my attention this morning was Isaiah 41:17. When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

In our day, we have no idea what it means to be truly thirsty. I know I often say, "I'm about to die of thirst," but the truth is we are blessed and have no idea what it's like to go without water. But, I don't think this verse is just talking about water. I think it's talking about anything we may need. I don't think it would be harming the Scripture if we inserted another word in place of the word "water."

When the poor and needy seek money, and there is none. . .I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.


When the poor and needy seek peace, and there is none. . .I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

When the poor and needy seek acceptance, and there is none. . .I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

When the poor and needy seek love, and there is none. . .I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

When the poor and needy seek employment, and there is none. . .I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

When the poor and needy seek companionship, and there is none. . .I the LORD will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them.

There are many words that we could fill in right there. Perhaps you even have one that describes what you are needing right now. The point is that no matter what we need, the Lord will hear our cries, and He will not forsake us. He has our best interest at heart. He will meet our needs in His own time. Our job is simply to trust Him.

No comments: