Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, April 6, 2009

FINDING GOD'S WILL

Jason and I don't watch much television, but one of the few shows we really enjoy is "The Amazing Race." In fact, we enjoy it so much that we watch the reruns online.

Recently, we were watching an episode, and I got really tickled at one of the teams. They were looking for the clue box on a bridge. (For those of you who aren't familiar with "The Amazing Race," the clue box is a large green box that sits on a tall red and yellow striped stand. It's pretty easy to spot.) Anyway, this couple walked right in front of the box several times saying, "Where is it? I just don't see it." Each time they walked past it, I had to laugh. It was so ridiculous. After a while, another team came and walked straight to the box. The first couple saw them, and one of them said, "Can you believe it? We walked right by it." The other replied, "No, I don't think it was there before." I laughed and laughed.

Later on, it hit me that I do the same thing that the couple did. I ask God for directions or instructions. He places them in an obvious place, and I walk right by them. "Where is it, Lord?" "Where are my instructions?" I cringe to think that the angels in Heaven may be pointing down at me and laughing while saying, "Duh! It's right in front of you. You've walked past it five times!"

Needless to say, this has changed the way I watch "The Amazing Race." Now, when people walk past a clue box and wander aimlessly, instead of laughing, I say a quick prayer that the Lord will help my eyes and ears to be open to all He is trying to convey to me. After all, I'm in a race, too, and I need to follow the instructions carefully if I'm going to reach the finish line.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. -- Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: