Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, April 20, 2009

Pay Attention

A funny thing happened this morning. Jason was fixing breakfast while I was taking care of a few other things around the house. I know he is VERY capable in the kitchen, so I was a little surprised when I heard him groan in frustration.

When I looked in the frying pan, I realized immediately what the problem was. Instead of a pan full of hashbrowns, there was a pan full of french fries. I couldn't help but laugh. In his defense, the packages do look very similar, but the thought of french fries for breakfast was so hilarious to me.

However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that we are all guilty of doing the same thing. No, not cooking french fries instead of hashbrowns, but in not paying attention to the things that are important.

We live in a day filled with controversy and lies. The devil is hard at work, trying to make us doubt the Bible. False teachers surround us daily, filling us with their cynicism and hatred of all things true. We have to be careful because it's easy to get pulled in without even realizing it.

Here's an example. I was doing some research for an e-book that I'm writing when I came across a website called "Ex-Christians." Curious as I was, I clicked on it and started looking around. Wow! There are some really deceived people out there, and many of them are claiming to have "left Christianity."

It's time for us to pay attention. We need to be on the lookout for these false teachers and the deceitfulness of the devil. And, the best way to determine a lie is to first know the truth. The truth can only be found in God's Word. If we know what it says, we'll be much better off in pointing out the lies around us. But, we must pay attention. Otherwise, we may be facing a situation far worse than french fries for breakfast!

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. - Matthew 7:15

No comments: