Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, July 24, 2009

Be Careful What You Ask For


It dawned on me this morning that we better be careful what we pray for. Sometimes we think we are asking for good things, but we fail to realize what we have to go through to get those things. For example, I learned a long time ago not to pray for patience. Why? Because the Bible tells us that tribulation is what brings about patience. I don't want any more tribulation than what I already face in my Christian walk, therefore, I don't pray for patience.

There are other areas, however, that I've prayed about without even realizing what I'm asking for. I've asked the Lord to teach me to wait. Duh! That's the same thing as asking for patience! I've asked Him to help me to have a stronger faith. Do you have any idea how a strong faith is built? You got it. . .by trials and temptations. I've begged the Lord to make me like the Proverbs 31 woman. In answer to those prayers, I've gotten more work, but no strength or stamina with which to accomplish it. You see, I failed to realize that the Proverbs 31 woman didn't become Superwoman overnight. She accomplished the things she did because she had already learned the lessons that I'm still struggling with.

So, am I saying we shouldn't pray? Absolutely not. I'm simply saying that we should pay attention to what we're praying for. As I prayed this morning, Lord, please help me to have more faith, I heard His still small voice saying, Child, what do you think I've been doing for the past several months? Oops! Ive been continually praying a prayer that I thought God wasn't answering. Now I know that He has been answering. I just didn't like what He had to say. God DOES answer prayer, so be careful what you pray for. You may just get it and find out it's not quite what you expected.

1 comment:

Torina George said...

I was just thinking about the Proverbs 31 woman this morning. I feel like a failure because I'm not like her. I guess the 1st step, for me, in becoming like her is just getting up early in the morning. I can't even do that. LOL!!! This blog was great as always. Thanks.