Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Saturday, July 11, 2009

We Are Not Our Own


What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost, which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? - I Corinthians 6:19

Has anyone else noticed the growing number of VERY overweight people? While in Delaware, my cousin invited Jason and me to go for a walk on the boardwalk. I don't mean to judge, but I saw people with enough meat on their bones to make up three or four people. I could tell by the way they walked that they were extremely uncomfortable. What has happened to our world? When did people stop caring about their bodies?

Do you realize that the very first sin in the Bible involved food? Do you also realize that in the wilderness the first thing Satan tempted Jesus with was food? Why? I think it's because it's a weak area for humans. We like to eat, and food is good. Boom! Bad combination!

Now, for those of you who think I'm just some skinny girl on a rampage, let me say that I have a problem with food as well. I may not always eat a lot of it, but I often find myself eating the wrong kinds of food. We live in a day of convenience. Fast food chains are on the rise. Foods are processed beyond belief. And unfortunately, some things taste better than ever. It's hard to choose an apple over a piece of chocolate cake, isn't it?

My point this morning is simply a reminder that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Ghost. We should be taking care of them. These bodies do not belong to us, yet we're destroying them. I know it's hard to eat right, but that's really just the beginning of our problems. How about exercise? How about taking care of our bodies to the point where we won't need damaging prescription drugs? Taking care of our bodies is more than just eating the right things. It's about doing what we know is best for us. We know it's not good to lie around on the couch all day. We know it's not good to eat fast food four and five times a week. We know these things, but are we doing anything about it?

My challenge for all of us today is to start thinking of our bodies as God's temple and to take care of them accordingly. I know it won't be easy, but we can do all things through Christ. He will give us the strength!

No comments: