Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Knowing What's Best


My dogs have fleas. Well, actually, at this point, my dogs AND my house have fleas. The little critters seem to be everywhere. I have so many bites, you can play connect the dots on my legs. It's driving me crazy! We've given them baths in the special flea formula. We've sprayed them. We've sprayed the house. Just when I think we've finally gotten rid of them, they seem to repopulate. Will it never end?

In our efforts to get rid of the fleas, we've taken to spraying ourselves and the dogs with a special blend of essential oils that repels and eventually kills the fleas. We feel this is better than constantly spraying them down with chemicals. However, the way they act when we spray them, you would think we were spraying them with liquid fire. They hate it! It doesn't stink. It doesn't burn. In fact, some of the oils even help soothe the bites we already have. Still, when they see the bottle in my hand, they run and hide. I've tried explaining to them that it's best for them, but they don't seem to believe me.

As I was lying in bed last night, I kept thinking, If only they would trust me and realize that I have their best interest at heart. I'm trying to help them. I know they don't like it and that it's unpleasant, but it will help them in the long run. If only I could get them to understand. In the stillness of the night, I heard/felt the Lord say, Do you understand?

Ouch! In His own special way, God was reminding me that I need to trust Him in all areas of my life because He has my best interest at heart. Even when I don't like it and times are unpleasant, I need to remember that I will be better off in the end. The Lord wants me to understand that He is trying to help me, too. I need to do a better job of trusting that He knows what is best for me.

No comments: