Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, September 21, 2009

God Is Eternal


God has always been, and He always will be. There has never been a time, nor will there ever be a time that God does not exist. He is an eternal being.

When I think of eternity, it completely boggles my mind. I start thinking what it will be like to be in Heaven forever. How long is forever? I simply can't fathom. My head knows that forever means without end, but beyond that it can't comprehend just how long that is. The best example I have is that of throwing a rock into a lake. Try it. The rock hits the water and disappears, but the ripple effect keeps going and going. Eventually, the shore will stop the ripples, and the water will calm. But to imagine eternity, imagine that the shore is not there. It's just the lake and the ripples which will continue to go until something makes them stop. It's not a perfect analogy, but it helps me grasp the concept of eternity a little better.

Knowing that God is eternal helps me to realize that He is outside of time (as we talked about briefly when we talked about God's omnipresence). Knowing that God is outside of time helps me to realize that not only does He know my past, but He also knows my future. Knowing that helps me to trust Him more each day. I don't know the path ahead of me, but He does, so whose direction should I trust, His or my own?

Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God. - Psalm 90:2



Bookmark & Share

No comments: