Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, September 17, 2009

God Is Sovereign


Isn't it a comforting thought to know that God is in control? It doesn't seem like He's in control sometimes, does it? When tragedies strike, we lift our faces toward Heaven and ask, "God, how could You let this happen?" I remember that was my first thought on 9-11-01.

I was dropping my kindergarten class off for music time. The music teacher was on her cell phone as tears streamed down her face. She pulled me aside and told me that her husband had just called. All she could manage to tell me was that a plane had crashed into the world trade center. I left my students in her care and hurried down to my classroom where I turned on the radio and listened. It was only moments before I, too, was in tears. What is going on? I thought. How could God allow so many people to perish? I thought of the number of lost souls that just entered hell's dominion. I was confused. God didn't seem to have control at all.

Do I now understand why 9-11 happened? No, I don't, but God has assured me over and over again through His Word that He is in control. Things will happen in this life that we don't understand. I know of several good Christians right now that are in terrible financial trouble. Because of job loss and the present economy, they are only steps away from losing everything they own. Why? These are good people. These are the people who are in church every service. These are the people who do everything they can to help others, even giving when they don't have it to give. These are the people who serve God with as much zeal as they can possibly muster. Yet they're facing bankruptcy or worse. Why? Why weren't they given the money that went to the wicked and corrupt? Why do the wicked prosper? Sometimes, it just doesn't make sense.

That's why it's important that we don't base our faith on our emotions. Instead, let's trust in what we know. Let's trust in the truth of God's Word. He is in control. No, we don't always understand His ways, but that doesn't mean they aren't right. God is sovereign. He will take care of everything. Our job is not to understand, but simply to trust.

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. (Isaiah 55:8-11)



Bookmark & Share

No comments: