Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, September 25, 2009

Junk In, Junk Out


Someone is using my e-mail address to spam people. Yep, you heard me. Somehow, someone got hold of my e-mail address and is using it to send out spam. How do I know? Because one day at the end of last week, I opened my e-mail account and found hundreds (not an exaggeration) of “returned mail” replies and “we don't accept spam” reports. As soon as I get my box emptied, another pile comes in. This has gone on for days! Not only is the process time-consuming, but it is very frustrating to think that someone is misusing my account that way. Plus, I am irked that they are doing something wrong, and I am having to pay the price for it.

The more I thought about it, the more I saw a spiritual lesson, only in reverse. My e-mail address sent junk out, and is receiving junk in return. When we take junk in, the result will be sending junk out. The Bible says, “Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.” (Matthew 12:34) Whatever we take in is likely to come back out. (No, I'm not talking about vomiting.) I'm speaking of filling our hearts and minds with the wrong things, whether it be from radio, television, the computer, friends, etc. Junk in, junk out! If we want good things to come out in our words and actions, then we must put good things in. Otherwise, someone else may have to pay the price for our wrong doing.

No comments: