Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, January 3, 2011

Too Busy for Our Own Good


Does anyone else have a hard time getting everything done? No matter how early I get up or how late I go to bed, there just don't seem to be enough hours in the day to do everything that I need to do. I feel like a juggler that is always adding one more ball to the mix. Is it just me or does anyone else feel that way?

A big problem I've noticed recently is that I have so many things going on at one time that I make stupid mistakes. For example, I put a load of clothes in the dryer but forgot to turn it on. I came back later and wondered what in the world was wrong with my dryer. Oh, and get this one. While loading the dishwasher, I put my husband's travel coffee mug in with the lid on. Guess what? It was still dirty after the wash cycle finished. Go figure!

Some days I feel like I'm losing my mind. Other days I wonder if I ever had one to begin with. It's just so hard to slow down and enjoy life. It's even harder to make certain that I'm spending time on the right things. I read a passage talking about that this morning.

And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God. - Luke 9:59-62

Here Jesus is inviting others to join Him. He is challenging them to follow Him and to serve. Each man has the same answer. "I will, Lord, but not now." "In a minute, Lord!" "No problem, Lord, but first. . ."

Ouch, ouch, and double ouch!!!! Those verses hit me like a ton of bricks this morning. Why? Because I'm guilty of doing the same thing. I sometimes feel the Lord impressing me to send a card to someone, but I have so much to do, so what do I say? "Later, Lord." Tuesday morning I saw a woman leaving the grocery store. She was leaning on a crutch, trying to hold her bag and her umbrella, and scrounging in her purse to find her keys. I felt the Lord whisper, "Help her." Did I? I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't. My mind was on the many things I needed to get done and the fact that I didn't want to spend any more time in the rain. So, I ignored Him. It didn't take long for regret to set in. Would it have really been that hard or taken that long to help the woman? No! Oh, how I wish I had.

No matter how busy we get in our daily lives, let us not grow too busy to hear and obey the voice of God. May we not put if off. May we not ignore His heeding. May our answer be, "Here am I, Lord. I will obey."

No comments: