Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, January 11, 2010

Keep It Clean!


In my last post, I spoke a little about new year's resolutions. One of my resolutions this year is to a better job at keeping my house clean. Somehow, that "neatness" gene passed by me. My parent's house is always so neat and clean. My sister's house is immaculate. I don't visit my brother's house often, but when I do, it's always very organized despite having a 3-year-old. My house? Well, let's just say that I would be VERY embarrassed if someone stopped by unannounced.

I try to keep a clean house, but sometimes the task just seems impossible. Nevertheless, I have made it my goal to double my efforts this year. With that "bee in my bonnet," I've been on a cleaning rampage the past few days. Dust bunnies, beware! (Although we don't have dust bunnies in our house, we have dust bears!)

Each time I "de-clutter" a new spot, I feel a sense of peace and relief. Yes, it's hard work, but the feeling that I receive in return is well worth it. That being said, though, I often wonder how much easier it would be if I didn't let the clutter pile up to begin with. What if I actually throw away the appliances that don't work instead of hoarding them in the laundry room or the attic in hopes that they might miraculously fix themselves? What if I get rid of things that I don't use anymore instead of thinking that I better hold onto them just in case? What if I give away clothes that don't fit or that I'm tired of? What if I would keep up with the chores instead of allowing them to mount up into a mountain of mess? Wouldn't that be easier? Wouldn't it be nice to feel that peace of a clean house all the time instead of on the rare occasions that I tackle the mess? Of course! So why don't I? Hmm, that's a tough one!

I guess it's the same reason that we often allow our lives to be cluttered with negative feelings, angry thoughts, and bitterness. Instead of doing our daily spiritual cleaning, we allow things to pile up until we have such a mess we don't know where to begin in sorting it out.

My pastor often makes the statement, "Keep short accounts with God." In other words, confess your sins daily to the Lord. As soon as you recognize a bad thought, bring it into captivity. When worry rears its ugly head, pray for strength and turn the problem over to the One who can handle it. Don't allow sin to clutter up your spiritual life. It's much easier to clean daily (or even moment by moment) than to allow it to become a dreaded mess. This year, make it your goal to keep a clean heart.

Now, if you'll excuse me. I hear the linen closet calling me. If I'm not out in an hour, call for help!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.