Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Looking at Things Through New Eyes


God has a way of getting my attention. I've been wanting a new laptop for a long time. My laptop is at least six years old. For the most part, it's in really good condition, although it is sometimes very slow and some of the keys are falling off the keyboard.

So, I found myself growing discontented with my laptop. I wanted a new one. I looked at new ones and quickly realized that I didn't have the money to buy a new laptop. Still, I found myself wanting one and growing increasingly frustrated that I couldn't have one. (You know the routine: "It's not fair!")

Then, the unthinkable happened. . . my laptop got a virus. In the attempts to get rid of the virus, the entire system crashed! I tried to get mad, but somehow I knew God was trying to teach me something. I wasn't satisfied with my laptop, so He took it away. (Not the plan I had in mind!)

For days, we explored our options. Buying a new one was simply not possible. The funds just weren't there. For a while, it looked as if our only option was to do without. (Please note: I did not like that option!)

I'll skip all the long, boring details, but after a couple of weeks, we were able to transfer the files from the laptop to the main computer, wipe the laptop clean, and start over as if it were a new computer (with a few faulty keys). The laptop is running better than it has in years. We're still working to get some of the files transferred back to the laptop, but I cannot express how grateful I am to have my laptop back. In fact, as I type this post, I'm sitting on the couch in front of the fire. I couldn't do that without my laptop. I have an all-new appreciation for it.

God has a way of reminding us to be thankful. When we grow discontent, He allows us to see how ungrateful we've become. When He takes away the blessings that we have, it opens our eyes to how much we'd miss them if those things were gone. I've learned a lot over the past month. Not only did God teach me a good lesson, but He also made it to where my computer now works almost like new. See, I didn't need a new computer. I just needed Him to fix my old one. Thankfully, though, He didn't stop there. He also took the time to fix my attitude which was in serious need of repair.

Would you join me is saying today, "Thank you, Lord, for Your blessings on me!"

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. - Hebrews 13:5

No comments: