Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Use Those Muscles


Ouch! My arm hurts. Nothing is broken or sprained, but it is REALLY sore. So, what activity was I involved in that caused my muscles to cry in such agony. Volleyball? Nope. Basketball? Yeah, right! Rock wall climbing? I wish. No, it wasn't any of those things. The activity that was too much for my poor muscles was. . . playing the Wii. (Sad, isn't it?)

Here's the situation. My sister's family got a new game called Boom Blox. The object of the game is to use the controller as a "ball" of sorts and to "throw the ball" and knock down the blocks. Sounds simple enough, right? Well, the difficult part is that the blocks are different sizes. The smaller the block, the easier it is to knock down. But some of those blocks are HUGE! You really have to throw hard to get them to budge, and even then it takes three or four times to knock them off.

My arm isn't use to that kind of abuse. We only played for about an hour, but when I woke up the next morning, I was certain it must have been longer. Surely I couldn't be so sore from playing a video game. That's just ridiculous! But that's what happens when we don't use certain muscles. They become weak and lazy. Then, when you decide to use them, they make you regret it.

I recently read the following:

In God's economy, getting to the end of yourself is the beginning of hope. . .When you realize that you are poor and helpless without God, you are ready to ask him for help. And the moment you ask God for help, you transcend your own limitations in finding your way, and God's resources are available to you. . .Whatever it is, God will make a way for you, perhaps in very unexpected ways. And he does his best work when you are at the end of yourself--and you admit it. (What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do by Henry Cloud and John Townsend)

Just as our physical muscles get weak when we don't use them enough, our spiritual muscles (like faith) suffer the same fate. I think that sometimes God has to get us to the place where we have to use our spiritual muscles. I think He allows us to go through certain trials so that we can strengthen our faith and our dependence on Him. He doesn't want our muscles to grow weak and lazy. God is always pushing us toward greater things.

So the next time you're facing a trial, remember that God has you there for a reason. There are some spiritual muscles He wants you to use, and it's easiest when we're at the end of our rope. Hold on tight; you may be in for the ride of your life! But rest assured, God will bring you through. . .and you'll be a stronger Christian because of it. Go on, flex those muscles, but be warned, they're going to be sore for a while.

Oh, by the way, did I mention that I won the game of Boom Blox. That's right! I beat my husband. (Sorry, honey.) My muscles are sore, but the victory is definitely worth it! (Ask anyone who witnessed my victory dance. SCARY!)

No comments: