Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, April 13, 2012

One More Time


From time to time, our pastor allows the other preachers in the church the chance to fill the pulpit for a service. The past three preachers have all preached from different Bible passages, but each message revolved around a central theme: trials. I believe each of these messages was from God. Why? Because I don't ever remember a time where so many people were hurting and discouraged. Right now, I know of people suffering from financial problems, marital problems, health problems, problems with their children, and on and on. In fact, I can't think of anyone I know who's not facing some sort of trial right now.

After hearing these three messages on trials, I looked back over the posts that God had given me recently. Guess what I found. That same central theme. In fact, I had noticed the theme earlier. While talking to my friend who is a faithful reader of my blog, I confided in her that I felt the posts were from God but that at times, I felt like I was whining. Oh, poor pitiful me. Look what's wrong in my life now! Her response was that she didn't feel that way at all. She expressed that the posts were an encouragement to her because it reminded her that she wasn't the only one suffering and that she wasn't alone in this fight.

While doing my Bible reading this morning, I came across this verse:

For, when we were come into Macedonia, our flesh had no rest, but we were troubled on every side; without were fightings, within were fears. - II Corinthians 7:5

Without were fightings, within were fears. Sound familiar? Sound like your life? God knows. He understands. That's why He's sending us hope and encouragement through messages, songs, and devotions. Through them, He's reminding us that these things are temporary and they are for our best. He's also reminding us that we're not alone. We have Him, and we have others who are walking through the same trials we are. They say, "Misery loves company," but I think this goes beyond that. God doesn't want us to be miserable together. He wants us to help each other, to encourage each other, and to share what strength we have left.

One more thing! Don't forget that sometimes the encouragers need encouragement too. Lend a helping hand or a kind word to someone today. We all need it!

No comments: