Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, February 12, 2010

Trust and Toenails


We have been trying to trim Mitch's toenails for over a week now. When we were hiking regularly, the rocks, asphalt, etc. kept them filed down. Now that we're only going out once a week (sometimes twice), they need some attention.

The problem is that Mitch can't stand for anyone to mess with his feet. In fact, he doesn't like to be constrained in any way. He loves to be cuddled, but if you hold him to where he can't move, he freaks out. We often wonder if he experienced some kind of abuse in his previous home. Anyway, as soon as you grab his feet, he goes wild. He snarls and growls. He wiggles and wriggles. It's impossible to trim or even file his toenails. He just won't cooperate. (However, he does an excellent portrayal of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.)

We've tried being firm. No luck. We've tried being sweet and trying to explain why we're doing what we're doing. Still no luck. No matter how hard we try, we can't get him to understand that what we're doing is good for him. It may be uncomfortable for a little while. It may even hurt a little. But in the long run, it's what's best for him.

After another unsuccessful attempt yesterday, I was voicing my frustration to Jason. I was about halfway through my rant when God thumped me on the head and whispered, "Sound like anyone else you know?"

Who? Me?

Yes, me!!!! Just like Mitch, I balk at help that I don't understand. When God is trying to "trim my toenails," it hurts and it's uncomfortable. I don't understand the process, and I can't see the end result. I don't realize that it is, in fact, what's best for me. I fight. I fuss. I whine and complain. I growl and snarl. I wiggle and wriggle. I don't trust my Master.

So what happens? God has to keep trying. The process must be completed. It's necessary. It's in my best interest. How much smoother would it be if I would just cooperate instead of fighting tooth and nail (pardon the pun)?

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. - I Corinthians 2:9

No comments: