Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, March 12, 2010

Shame on Me!


Wednesday night at church, Ricky (one of our members) was telling about a wonderful experience he had while working at the nursing home ministry on Sunday morning. He told how they were talking about how good God is and how much He loves and cares for us no matter what our current circumstance may lead us to believe. In closing, he asked if anyone had any comments. A frail man in a wheelchair struggled to stand to his feet. Once standing, in a feeble voice he quoted a beautiful poem about the goodness of God.

Afterward. Ricky went to the man to thank him for his poem. The gentleman informed Ricky that he had memorized it many years ago but that it always brought him peace. Knowing the hour was late, Ricky asked the man if he would be there next week. When the man said he planned to be, Ricky asked him if he would write the poem down for him because he'd love to have a copy of it. The man placed his hand on Ricky's shoulder and said, "You're welcome to the poem, but you'll have to write it down. You see, I'm blind." Ricky barely made it to his car before he burst into tears.

As he told this story, Wednesday night, my mind immediately went to the complaining I had done the night before. You know, the usual pity party about how life's not fair, money's tight, nothing seems to go the way I plan, etc. Tears streamed down my face as the shame of the situation struck me. Here I am complaining when I have so much, but this man who is blind, frail, and nearly lame can stand and quote a poem about how good God is. Shame on me! God, forgive me for allowing my circumstances to dictate my thankfulness. I pray that I will be more careful in the future.

No comments: