Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Working in the Dark (Repost)


I experienced something new Sunday night. As we sat in church, a terrible thunderstorm came. The thunder was rolling, the wind was howling, and hail was pounding against the windows. As I was playing through the offertory, the strength of the storm seemed to increase. Then suddenly, the building went black. . . and I mean BLACK!

The piece I was playing for the offertory was a piece that I had memorized, so I just kept playing in the dark. As the lights came back on, I finished the song, amazed that I hadn't missed a note. Not only was I amazed by the accomplishment of playing in the dark, but I was astounded by my ability to keep calm in the midst of the darkness and continue my task. (No one else commented on my new-found talent, but I was impressed and thankful that the Lord had guided my hands in the dark.)

Life is full of storms. Some are strong and lead to times of darkness. During those times, it is our responsibility to stay calm and finish our tasks. It's tempting to stop what we're doing. It's tempting to stare into the darkness. It's tempting to give into our fears of the unknown. But what good does that do? No, there is only one option: we must press on.

Is it easy? Absolutely not. Was it easy to play the piano when I couldn't see the keys or my hands or anything else? No, but the Lord led me through just as He will lead us through our times of darkness. Even though we're afraid and we can't see the next step, He has promised to be our Guide. He will keep us on the right path, but we must be willing to keep going. Let's not leave an unfinished melody!

And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left. - Isaiah 30:21

No comments: