Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Who's Stressed?


We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed: we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed. - II Corinthians 4:8-9

Do you see yourself in the above verses? Troubled? Check. Perplexed? Check. Persecuted? Check. Cast down? Check. How about the other side of each statement? Not distressed? Um, not quite. Not in despair? Working on it. Not forsaken? I know it's true, but it sure does feel like I'm all alone sometimes. Not destroyed? Check. . .I think. Let's face it -- we have a lot to learn from Paul.

As you've probably noticed for the past couple of weeks, my blog posts have been hit and miss. I apologize for that, but the truth is that my "groove" has been thrown off track. The past month has been full of the unexpected and the time-consuming. I've been working and learning in an effort to launch my new book this month. My husband came down with a terrible case of poison ivy which cost us several nights' sleep and several days of sanity. Last week was children's revival at our church. Monday was our wedding anniversary.

All of those (except the poison ivy) are good things, but I've been a bit overwhelmed by it all. In fact, I had a doctor's appointment last week, and for the first time ever, my blood pressure was high. The doctor was concerned, and asked if I had been under any stress lately. I laughed in his face, then explained what had been going on. He nodded and told me to keep tabs on it just to make sure it wasn't something else. It has gone down since then. I knew it would. After all, I've been here before. I have arrived at the place where I need to re-charge my batteries.

I have plans to go to the park tomorrow. I will take my Bible, my journal, some tissues, and some water. I plan to find a comfortable and somewhat secluded spot, and then I intend to stay there until my spirit feels refreshed. You see, when I read that verse in Corinthians yesterday, it rang too true in my current state. I saw it as God's way of telling me it was time to take a day and "be still." It's good to do that every now and then. It always amazes me at the difference it makes in my life.

If it's been a while since you've had a moment to "be still," you may want to try to work it in to your schedule. It can brighten your day and lighten your load.

Troubled? Sure. Distressed? Nah!

No comments: