Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

One Lane Road Ahead


Okay, so I'm driving down the road, minding my own business. I come upon a sign that reads, "Road Work Ahead." In anticipation of congested traffic, I tap my brakes. Shortly after, I come upon another sign. This one reads, "One Lane Road Ahead." GRRR! I hate it when they do that! Which lane? Do I need to be in the right lane or the left? How am I supposed to be prepared if the instructions are so unclear?

I've come to the conclusion that for me the correct lane is whichever lane I am not in. I don't know if it works that way for you, but it seems to for me. So, with this in mind, I switch to the other lane. Guess what? Yep, I was still in the wrong lane! If they really want to prepare oncoming traffic for construction, why don't they make their instructions exact? Would it be so hard to say, "Right lane closed ahead?" (Although, I have come upon those signs only to discover that the left lane was closed instead. No wonder I hate driving!)

Aren't you glad that God's directions are always clear? "Don't kill." That's pretty easy to understand. "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Crystal clear. "Fret not." Understandable. (Not easy, but understandable.) The Bible tells us that God is not the author of confusion. He says what He means and means what He says. End of discussion. He is not out to trick or frustrate us. He does not leave us wondering what we're supposed to do next. "Which lane do I need to be in?" God will direct, and unlike some road signs, His directions will be clear and without error.

No comments: