Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, July 9, 2010

When You're Hot, You're Hot


I thought I was going to melt into a little puddle this morning. During the summer months, I try to get the dogs out for a walk on Monday and Thursday mornings. This ensures that we all get some exercise, plus it burns up some of Mitch's excess energy. It's been hot for the past month, but today was nearly unbearable.

I should have started out earlier. After all, it's supposed to be cooler in the morning, right? I did start at 8:30. Unfortunately, it was already near 90. It was pushing the "100" mark by the time we left the lake. I was sweaty and slimy. My face was red from the heat. My hair was soaked from the sweat. Each time I licked my lips, I was rewarded with the taste of salt. It was nasty. I hate being hot! It makes my head ache and my stomach queasy. I don't like the heat!

Similarly, I don't enjoy facing the heat of a fiery trial. It's a weary, miserable time when I wonder if I'll ever make it through. Often the trial leaves me tired and grimy, but as much as I hate to admit it, it also inspires growth in my Christian life.

You see, when I look at a trial in my life, all I see is one piece of the puzzle. I often forget that God has the cover to the box. He sees the entire picture. He knows every twist and turn. And above all, He knows what I need. . . and sometimes I need the heat.

No comments: