Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, August 2, 2010

One Moment Please!

Last week was a bit of a roller coaster. Jason's work had slowed down a good bit which meant a smaller paycheck, but more time to spend together. After all the long weeks he's put in lately, I was more than happy to make the trade. However, things didn't quite work out the way I had planned.

Monday - Jason's work day schedule was supposed to be fairly short, but several added jobs caused him to work late into the evening. Then, he had to leave at 9:30 pm to work a restaurant.

Tuesday - Jason actually got off work around 3:30, but spent most of the afternoon/evening trying to catch up on some much needed repairs around the house. Once again, he left at 9:30 pm to work a restaurant.

Wednesday - Jason had the entire day off. We spent a couple of hours in the morning running some errands, expecting to have the afternoon to ourselves. However, when we arrived home from errands, we discovered that our laptop had a virus, and Jason spent the entire afternoon getting things fixed and running properly. Then, of course, it was off to church.

Thursday - Jason promised me that no matter what else happened, when he got home I could have his undivided attention. He was about four hours late getting home (due to added jobs), and he had only been home about two hours when he got a call to go back out. He didn't return home until midnight.

Friday - Jason called me at 4:00, saying that he was on his way home. While on the phone with me, he received a call for another job. As he was wrapping up that job, he received another call for yet another job. He finally arrived home after 7:00.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about Jason having to work. His work pays the bills, and I'm thankful that he has a job. I'm simply saying that I'm starting to realize how the Lord must feel many times.

Dana, a moment of your time please? "Sure, Lord, I'll be right there. Just let me finish this project." Dana, can we talk? "Yeah, no problem. I'll be with you in just a minute." Dana, I really miss spending time with you. "I know. I miss you too. It's just that there's so many things to be done. Tomorrow, okay? I promise."

When the Lord pointed this out to me this morning, my heart broke. My mind replayed all the times I have made excuses about being too busy to spend a moment of quiet time with Him. He doesn't ask for much -- just a few moments to sit and commune with Him. Why do I find that so difficult? Oh, how it must break the Father's heart when I push Him away time and time again.

As we begin a new week, let's make it our goal to spend more time with God. We may be amazed to discover that we need the time as much as He desires it.

No comments: