Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Someone Worth Talking To


Have you ever wondered what our lives would be like if we treated our friends and families the way we often treat God? What would happen if we only approached them when we had a need or a problem? How would they react if we didn't speak to them on days when things were going well for us? Would they be offended by our one-sided relationship?

As I look at my prayer life, I find that when I'm in the midst of a crisis, I spend a lot of time on my knees. I cry to the Lord. I seek His face. I read His Word. I bask in His presence. But when things are going well, I treat God as if I have no need of Him. It's almost as if I've taken on the attitude of "Things are going well today, Lord, so I don't have anything to talk to you about." What a shame! I've reduced my precious time with the Lord down to a mere complaint session. I shudder to think what God thinks of my prayer life (or lack thereof). Lord, forgive me!

God wants us to come to Him in our hour of need, but that's not the ONLY time He wants to have fellowship with us. He wants to be a part of our lives when things are going well, too. He wants to hear praises instead of complaints, thankfulness instead of discontentment. He wants us to want to spend time with Him just for the sake of being in His company. Sure, He's with us all the time, but His presence can become so much more if we truly seek Him out.

God -- He's so much more than a genie in a bottle or a spiritual Santa Claus. He's Someone worth talking to, Someone worth spending time with. And He deserves more than our complaints and wish lists.

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7

No comments: