Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, November 8, 2010

Wait It Out


Yesterday I had the great privilege of stepping in a nice, juicy pile of dog poop. One of the many joys of owning two dogs, I guess. Anyway, I knew the drill. I scraped off what I could in the grass, limped back into the house, and took my shoes off, leaving them just inside the back door. Why didn't I clean them immediately? Because after so many times of stepping in dog poop, I've learned a few things.

One of the most important things I've learned is that poop is much easier to get off the bottom of your shoe after it has dried. If you try to get squishy poop off the bottom of your shoe, you will only succeed in making a bigger mess (and probably making yourself nauseous from the smell). But if you wait until it's dry, it will usually flake right off, and then you can simply rinse off any remaining residue. Now, aren't you glad I gave you that helpful tip?

Often, in life, we face a similar situation. We find ourselves in a mess, and instead of waiting for direction from the Lord, we try to fix the problem immediately. The problem is that we only succeed in making a bigger mess. Our impatience costs us much more trouble. Many times it's better to just wait it out. Pray about the problem. Turn it over to God. And wait for Him to either fix the problem or direct you to the next step. Either way, it will work out better.

Facing a problem today? Ready to start scraping the poop off your shoe? Be patient. Wait on the Lord. I assure you it will be worth the wait!

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. - Psalm 27:14

No comments: