Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Eating My Words


Our pastor was out of town last weekend, so we had the opportunity to hear preaching from some of the preachers in our church. The sermon on Sunday morning was on anchors in the storm, a message I definitely needed to hear. The funny thing was that on two separate occasions the preacher referred to my book, Random Ramblings of a Raving Redhead. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to swallow your words when they're preached back at you?

The first mention of my book was just a brief comment that my devotion on being still was a comfort to him because he realized it wasn't just him that had trouble letting go of problems. The second comment, however, hit me right between the eyes. He was speaking on the anchor of God's promises and how we don't need to worry or wonder if God will come through for us. He has promised that He will. Then he made this comment: "Dana got it right in her book. She said it plainly. Worry is a sin." OUCH!!!!

Chewing on those words at any time would have been difficult, but Jason and I had just had the same discussion about worry on Saturday. My tendency to worry not only affects my spiritual health, but my physical health as well. As a good husband should, Jason was reminding me that I need to take my problems to God and leave them there. He reminded me that worry solves nothing.

As we discussed the "irony" of the timing of the message, I told Jason how difficult it was to swallow my own words. But, I also told him that it proved to me that I know better. I know that worry is a sin. I said it myself. I know that it doesn't help. I know that it only hurts. I know that my lack of faith has cost me many blessings. I know, so why am I still doing it? As we continued the discussion, we came to one conclusion. Turning my problems over to God is a simple matter, but it is certainly not an easy one. It also is not a one-time deal. No, it is something I am going to have to work on day after day. Thankfully, I serve a patient Savior who will guide me through the process and forgive me when I fail.

The moral of the story? Choose carefully what you say, for you may have to chew on those words later.

No comments: