Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, January 14, 2011

I Know, I Know!


It's the time of year for making big changes in our lives. Yes, the dawning of another new year causes us to step back and examine our lives. Have we accomplished what we set out to do? Have we made a difference? Are we satisfied at where we are physically, financially, spiritually, etc.? And then come the resolutions.

This year I'm going to lose ten pounds.
This year I'm going to conquer my addiction to chocolate and caffeine.
This year I'm going to accomplish all my writing goals.
This year I'm going to spend more time in prayer.

And on and on the list goes, but in the end, it usually stops there. It becomes a list and nothing more. It reminds me of a line in the movie, Princess Diaries II, where Mia says, "The concept is grasped. The execution is a little elusive." That statement, I feel, sums up my resolutions. I know what I want to do. I know what I need to do to accomplish those wants. I've grasped the concept. The execution, however, is another story. For a multitude of reasons, I never seem to reach my goals.

Could it be that my goals are not God's goals for my life? And if they are, could it be that I don't reach those goals because I'm acting in my own strength instead of His? Yes, I'm bad about that. I'm bad to examine a situation and then rush in with my claws raised and teeth bared, only to limp away licking my wounds. After a few times like that, I determine that the task is impossible and quit trying. Yes, the concept is grasped, but the execution is faulty.

The Bible is quite clear in these matters. It says, "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all theses things shall be added unto you." If we truly want to meet our goals this year, we only need one resolution: seek God first. After that, everything else will fall into place. He'll give us the strength we need to succeed in all areas of our lives. He'll make our resolutions a reality.

No comments: