Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, June 6, 2011

Finding Peace in the Shelter of His Arms


The last couple of weeks have been trying to say the least. Jason has been swamped with work, racking up 50-60 hours each week and not getting in some days until 2:00 in the morning. I have been no less swamped. I've had article deadlines to meet, a website to create, CD publishing to do for my pastor and his family, the house to upkeep, a trip to Delaware to plan, dogs to walk, blogs to write, books to read, and so on.

On top of the busyness, things just seem to be going wrong. I left my $400 phone (which I got for free) out in the rain and ruined the motherboard. I went to pick up my prescription at the pharmacy only to find out that they no longer carried the generic brand I was using so they switched me to a new generic brand which is $15 more. Little things. Big things. It all kept piling up, and I wanted nothing more than to drown my sorrows in chocolate cake and Pepsi. Then I was reminded of a verse.

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. - John 14:27

Jesus knows how stressful life can be, and that's why He offers peace. Not just a temporary feel good, but true deep-down peace that remains with us on good days and bad. He assures us that we don't need to be troubled because there is perfect peace in the shelter of His arms. No matter which way you look at it, that's something that can never be found in a piece of chocolate cake.

No comments: