Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Journey Home


My body aches all over, but I guess 22+ hours of riding in a car in four days will do that. I look forward to seeing my family in Delaware, but I never look forward to the 10-hour car ride. The funny thing is that the 10 hours on the way up seem to go quicker than the 10 hours on the way home. I don't know if it's the time of day we're traveling or the fact that my body already feels like it's been run over by a truck, but the trip home always seems to take longer.

Still, there's nothing like seeing the sign that reads, "Welcome to South Carolina." That moment is one of the few times you'll hear me shouting for joy at 1:00 in the morning. Then, I literally count the miles. When I turned onto my street in the wee hours Monday morning, I could feel tears coming to my eyes. Of course, that could have had something to do with the pain in my back, but I think it was mostly the joy of finally being home.

Sometimes, the journey is long, and we feel we can't go another mile. Sometimes we just feel like we'll never arrive at our destination. But no matter how long the journey, home sounds sweeter all the time. Can you imagine what it will be like to finally reach our Heavenly Home? The joy I felt Monday morning can't even begin to compare to what it will be like to arrive at my final Home.

I know the journey is hard. In fact, my bottom is still testifying to that fact. But the fact I want to leave with you today is that the destination is worth it -- that is, if you're going where I'm going. If you're not sure where you're headed, please contact me. I'd love to give you directions.

No comments: