Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Dog Tired!


Last night was not a good night. It started off fine, but once Jason left for work, it went downhill fast. We had gotten Mitch all settled in for the evening. In fact, he was sleeping quite peacefully on our bed. Normally, once we can get him settled, he stays settled for the night. However, when Jason had to leave at 9:00 last night to go to work, Mitch quickly became unsettled.

For hours, I tried to coax him into going to sleep. I petted him. I talked with him. I hugged him and loved on him. He would settle for a few minutes and then jump up like someone had stuck him with a pin. When Jason arrived home at 12:30 in the morning, I had hopes that Mitch would settle in. He didn't, at least, not until 5:30 this morning.

I honestly don't know what was wrong with him. I took him outside for a bathroom break. I gave him some water. I even gave him a little milk. For crying out loud, I even spent some time on the floor so that he wouldn't be cramped. Finally, at 5:30, we had had enough. We put him down on the cushion on the floor. Within a few minutes, he was settled. Go figure! Unfortunately, Jason had to get up at 6:30.

As I stumbled around the house this morning, I noticed several things. I was hungry, thirsty and extremely achy. I had visions of chocolate donuts and Pepsi dancing in my head. I even told Jason, "I'd give my right arm this morning for some caffeine." I was joking, of course, but I can't deny that the cravings were definitely there.

As I thought about this, I remembered reading once how when our bodies are tired, they will actually crave other things to try to make up for the lack. My body wasn't really hungry or thirsty (although, I believe it truly was achy). My body was tired, and no matter how many donuts I ate or sodas I drank, my body would still be tired. Why? Because I'm not giving it what it needs. It needs sleep. Lots and lots of sleep! While food and drink may offer a temporary pick-me-up, they will not fulfill the deeper craving.

I wonder how many times we try to fill our lives with things to fill the void, knowing deep down that only God can fill that emptiness. I'm not just talking about salvation, but even in the Christian walk, it's possible to meet our cravings without truly meeting our need. Our spirit craves time with God, but we're too busy to make that happen. Our spirit craves spiritual bread from the Word, but instead we fill it with television and internet. It's no wonder something always seems to be missing. There's a place in our hearts and lives that only God can fill. It's about time we stopped trying to fill it with other things and started giving ourselves what we truly need.

Now, if you'll excuse me, Mitch is napping, and I think I may do the same. After all, sleep is what I truly need.

3 comments:

Anita@Dreaming Beneath the Spires said...

Hi Dana, Is Mitch better?

Dana Rongione said...

Anita,
Mitch went for a checkup this morning. They said the wound was healing nicely (finally). There was no sign of infection or any problems. They want us to leave it wrapped and splinted for another ten days, and then we go back for (hopefully) a final checkup.

Anita said...

That's great that it's finally healing!