Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, September 9, 2011

Do You Talk to Yourself?

Hi, my name is Dana.  I talk to myself on a regular basis.  Sometimes the process occurs when I'm trying to work through a problem and I need to voice my thoughts.  Other times, I'm ashamed to admit, the conversation is the result of an argument I am having. . . with myself.  Whatever the case, it should be known that I talk to myself on a daily basis and usually several times each day.  I need help!

What about you?  Do you talk to yourself?  If you do, you're in good company.  Did you know that some of the most noteworthy characters in the Bible talked to themselves?  It's true, and I'm not just talking about Jesus talking to God.  We're not even going to go there because I don't have enough Tylenol to deal with that topic.  No, I'm talking about just plain old everyday people.  Take a look:

Then I consulted with myself, and I rebuked the nobles, and the rulers, and said unto them, Ye exact usury, every one of his brother. And I set a great assembly against them. - Nehemiah 5:7


Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God. - Psalm 42:11; Psalm 43:5


And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father's have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger! - Luke 15:17

I'm sure there are others, but those were just a few that came to my mind right off.  To be honest, it makes me feel a little better to know that I'm not alone in my insanity, and that I'm not the only one who talks to herself.

But what really thrills my soul is the fact that even when I think I'm alone, I have Someone to talk to.  Even when I can't get along with myself, I have a Friend.  Even when I feel alone and forsaken, I'm not.  Jesus is there.  I can talk out my problems with Him.  I can share my burdens with Him.  I can lay out my joy before Him.  Whatever the situation, He is there.  What a joy to know that I'm never alone!  And what an even greater joy to know that I have Someone other than myself to talk to!

No comments: