Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, February 20, 2012

Who Are You Calling a "Girly Girl"?

I overheard a very humorous conversation the other week.  The discussion was taking place between two women in our church, one of whom is expecting her third child in just a few weeks.  Because she already has two boys and is the "only girl in the house", everyone is assuming that this expecting mother is hoping for a girl.  Quite the opposite.  As this mother explained to a lady at our church, "I don't want a girly girl.  I want a child that's willing to hunt and fish and do things outdoors.  I'm used to that.  I enjoy that.  I wouldn't know what to do with a girly girl."

Before I realized what was coming, the other lady pointed back at me and said, "Dana's a girly girl, but she still likes to do outdoor things."  Outwardly I was smiling, but inwardly, I was downright laughing.  I have NEVER thought of myself as a girly girl.  Evidently, this lady and I have different definitions of "girly girl."

I define a girly girl as one who loves pink, paints her fingernails and toenails at least once a week, changes purses with every outfit (unless really pressed for time), loves to shop, prefers any inside chores to the heat, cold, or bugs of the outdoors, etc.  In two words, my sister.  Now she's a girly girl, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I, however, am the exact opposite.  I despise pink unless its on a flower.  I hardly ever paint my fingernails or toenails.  I change my purse once a season (if that).  I despise shopping (unless it's at the Goodwill store).  I'd much rather haul firewood or trek through the woods than wash dishes or perform any other household chore.  I don't mind getting dirty, and it's not uncommon to find grit on my face or dirt under my nails.  To me, that is not a girly girl.

On the way home from church that day, I told Jason what had been said.  He laughed and commented, "She doesn't know you very well.  Does she?"  Evidently, my husband's definition of "girly girl" lines up a little better with my own.

When it all comes down to it, though, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of me.  My purpose in life is not to make others like me (although I hope they do), nor is to gain their approval (even though that's always nice).  No, all that matters in this life is what God thinks of me.  His opinion is the only one that matters.  And because of His unending love and His rose-colored glasses (tinted by the blood of Christ), He sees me as His beloved child and so much more.  He knows me inside and out, and yet He still loves me.  Talk about acceptance!

Perhaps, like me, you're not the "popular" type.  Perhaps you struggle to feel accepted or appreciated.  Perhaps the "you" that everyone else sees is not the real you at all, but you're unsure how to make the true you shine through.  Never fear, for there is One who sees you just as you are.  You have nothing to prove to Him.  No need to try to impress Him with your actions or words.  No, all you have to do to impress Him is to walk with Him.  Accept His love and offer yours in return.  Stay close to Him and bask in His willingness to know "the real you" and in His love that creates in you a desire to be so much more than you are.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: - Ephesians 1:3-4

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hey Dana, I REALLY needed these last two posts. I was just crying to my friend Sunday night about how hurtful it feels when people seem to not like me. No matter how silly it sounds it still hurts. I am glad God sees me and still loves me. Thank you again for sharing.

Dana Rongione said...

I don't think it sounds silly at all, Barbara. It does hurt when others seem to dislike us or not understand us. It is said that writers build up a really thick skin to handle the numerous rejections, but I guess I just haven't reached that "thickness level". The reminder of God's love and acceptance is one that should be shared, for we never know what someone else might be going through. Thanks for the comment!