Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, July 26, 2012

No-Parking Zones

It really aggravates me to see someone parked in a no-parking zone or in a handicapped space when they're obviously not handicapped.  Hale and hearty individuals who think they are better than others or have more important business than others often reserve "the right" to park in fire zones, handicapped spaces and other no-parking zones.  The fleshly side of me would love to see a big tow truck come up and haul their vehicle away.  It's just not right!

However, I must admit that I'm often guilty of parking in no-parking zones myself -- not with my car, mind you, but with my thoughts.  The Bible says, Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (Philippians 4:8)  It's hard to argue with the meaning of this verse, isn't it?  Think on these things.  What things?  Good things.  Pleasant things.  Positive things.  So, why, oh why, do my thoughts usually want to park on the bad things, the unpleasant things, the negative things?  Why do they park in the handicap spots of worry, anger, fear and discouragement?  

And better yet, why do I allow them such insolence?  They are my thoughts after all.  I have control over them. . . at least I'm supposed to.  With the Lord's help and strength, I need to set things straight.  I need to bring my thoughts into the captivity of Christ.  I need to park them where they belong.  Why?  Well, for one thing, life would be much smoother.  But as an added benefit, Philippians 4:9 goes on to say, Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

I don't know about you, but I sure do long for peace in my life.  According to the passage above, if I want peace, the process is clear -- stop parking my thoughts in no-parking zones!

No comments: