Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

We Have a Song to Sing

Saturday afternoon, while Jason and I were out hiking with the dogs, I received a phone call from the song leader at our church.  He was inquiring if I would be willing to sing a special Sunday morning since he had been out the previous week and hadn't had the opportunity to make other arrangements.  I told him that would be fine, and after hanging up the phone, did what I usually do when asked to sing:  I prayed, "Lord, what would you have me to sing?  Please lay a song on my heart."

All afternoon, I thought and battled to come up with a song.  I practiced a half dozen different ones, but I still couldn't get peace.  Frustrated, I narrowed it down to two that I felt pulled toward the most and decided I'd sleep on it, hoping that maybe God would make the choice clear in the morning.

Sunday morning, I ran over both songs again, and I still couldn't decide.  The two songs were similar in that they both contained the same message--we're never alone.  Finally, we had come down to service time, and I had to make a decision.  While I still felt pulled toward both songs, I felt a little more tugging toward the one that I had sung more frequently.  So, I made the decision, and I stood before the church during the morning service and sang "With Me Always".

On Sunday evening, during our youth service, one of our young ladies testified that she had had a song on her heart all week and she had intended to ask me if I would sing it the next time I was scheduled to sing.  Would you believe it was "With Me Always"?  As she testified about how good it is to see God work in our lives, I had tears in my eyes.  In that moment, I was reminded just how much my daily decisions affect others around me.  God used me to be a blessing to that young lady, and because I was seeking His will and following His leadership, I picked the right song.

Before you start congratulating me, however, I feel it necessary to tell you that I don't always heed the voice of the Lord as I should.  In fact, sometimes I'm so focused on my own needs and wants, I don't even hear His voice.  I go about my day, heedless of His direction for my life, never stopping to ask Him what song He would have me sing.

You see, whether you enjoy music or can even carry a tune, the fact is that we each sing songs daily.  Unfortunately, the nature of those songs is often like the one the group from HeeHaw would sing--"Gloom, despair and agony on me.  If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."  Boo hoo!  What a depressing melody!  Is it any wonder we walk around discouraged and defeated with a battle hymn like that?

Let's get right down to the nitty gritty.  God has a song for you to sing.  He has a song for me to sing.  When was the last time we asked Him what song He would have us to sing for a particular day?  We must understand that God sees all.  He knows what we'll face each and every day.  Could it be that the song He's intended for us to sing could help prepare us for the battles the day will bring?  Take, for example, "With Me Always".  What better song to battle loneliness?  How about "When God Has Another Plan" for those days when things just seem to fall apart?  Or "Sometimes He Calms Me" for the days that we're in the midst of a never-ending storm and need peace?  I wonder how many times God gives us all the weapons we need in the form of Scripture and songs to fight our battles, yet we walk away in defeat because we refuse to take up (or even notice) the weapons He's put at our disposal.

I hate to tell you this, but this week will have its battles.  There's no escaping it.  It's part of life.  Do you have your song?  Have you sought God's will?  Are words of praise and prayer ready on your lips?  He's provided the armor and weapons.  It's up to us to decide what to do with them.

Sing unto the LORD, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness. - Psalm 30:4

No comments: