Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, March 8, 2013

Driving Miss Dana

I hate to drive.  I always have.  I can't tell you why.  Maybe it's because I'm navigationally-challenged.  Maybe it's because I fear being in an accident.  Or maybe it's because I'd just rather be home on my couch typing away on my laptop or reading a good book.  I don't know.  All I know is that I don't drive unless I have to.  Weekly errands, fine.  Trips back and forth to church, okay.  Otherwise, no, thank you!

Fortunately, Jason loves to drive, so he doesn't mind chauffeuring me around to hither and yon.  Yes, I'm perfectly content to sit in the passenger's seat and tell him how to drive.  (I wish I were being funny there, but I do tend to be a bit of a nag.  Sorry, Jason.)  Being so patient and good-natured, however, Jason doesn't allow my backseat driving to hinder him from acting as my chauffeur.  It's never a question of who's driving at our house.  The answer is obvious.  Unless my husband is sick or extremely tired, he'll be the one doing the driving, and I prefer it that way.

Which makes me wonder why, in my spiritual walk, I always insist on taking the driver's seat.  For one who hates to drive so much, I sure do seem to spend a lot of time behind the wheel.  What's that all about?  Why can't I be as content to have the Lord chauffeur me about as I am to have Jason chauffeur me about?  After all, the Lord is both willing and eager to take the wheel.  There's really no need for me to worry myself about directions or driving procedures.  The Lord is more than able to take me where He wants me to go.

Hmm, could it be that the last statement reveals my insistence on driving myself.  The Lord is more than able to take me where He wants me to go, but what about where I want to go?  Will He take me there?  Not unless it's in His will.  And deep down, I know that truth.  So could it be that I often insist on getting behind the wheel because I want to make sure I get to wherever it is I want to go?  Oh me, oh my!

Several years ago, the song "Jesus, Take the Wheel" became very popular, and while I never really listened to the song much, the title alone is enough to voice my prayer for today and for all days to come. 

Lord, please take the wheel.  I don't want to drive anymore.  I'm tired of wandering aimlessly down the roads of life searching for the things that I thought would make me happy and fulfilled.  I understand now that true peace and joy can only be found when I sit back in the passenger's seat and allow You to steer my life in the direction it should go.  You don't need my help.  You don't require my advice.  But, Lord, I know You would appreciate my cooperation.  Help me to hand the keys to You willingly, knowing that the destination You have in mind is better than anything I could ever dream of.  Please help me, Lord, to simply sit back and enjoy the ride!

Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go. - Isaiah 48:17

No comments: