Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Look to the Skies

Have you ever doubted God's faithfulness?  I know it's not an easy thing to admit.  God is so good to us and so holy that we feel guilty admitting that we have, on occasion, doubted that He would do what He said He would do.  Typically, these doubts come during some of life's harshest storms when it seems the sun will never shine again.  But what we often fail to realize during these times is that just because the clouds fill the skies doesn't negate the fact that the sun is still there.  Hidden from view, yes, but there nonetheless, and no amount of cloud cover can change that.

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations. For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens. - Psalm 89:1-2

I can't tell you how many times I've read through the Psalms, but it wasn't until last week that the last phrase of verse two caught my attention.  I truly believe God reveals these heavenly nuggets to us at the times we need them the most.  If you recall, last week was a tough week for me, and while there was a lot coming out of my mouth, it certainly wasn't praise or worship.  No, it was more like complaints and pleading to discover why God had turned His back on me.  And in the midst of my doubt-laden storm, I found this truth:  thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.

Many times in this life what we feel will collide with what we know.  And in those confusing times, we often find our moods and actions dictated by our feelings and emotions.  We feel like God has forsaken us, so we act accordingly.  But according to this wonderful verse in the Psalms, God has given us unmistakable proof that He is and always will be faithful.  In fact, every time the sun rises and sets, I can be reminded that God is faithful.  Just as my feelings can't deter the setting or rising of the sun, neither can they change the faithfulness of God.  It is always there, perhaps hidden by my clouds of doubt, but there nonetheless.  And to make sure I never lose sight of that, He gives me daily reminders.  The rise and fall of the sun.  The phases of the moon.  The twinkle of the stars.  Not only do the heavens declare the glory of God, but they also declare His faithfulness.  Day after day, night after night, God gives us unequivocal proof that He can be relied upon.

Are you feeling forsaken today?  Do you find yourself wondering if God is still faithful?  If so, look to the skies?  Did the sun set last night?  Did it rise this morning?  Did the moon follow its proper course around the earth?  Yes, yes and yes.  So, is God still faithful?  I think you know the answer.

It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.  They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. - Lamentations 3:22-23

No comments: