Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, May 24, 2013

Forget the Dropper

I have fallen in love with essential oils.  Who knew that these simple elements could be useful in so many ways?  I make cleaners with them.  I wash clothes with them.  I produce my own specialized insect repellant with them.  They're just great!  And the more I learn about them, the more fascinated I become with them.

One of the things that bothers me, however, is the means of applying some of these oils.  Since essential oils are extremely potent, a little goes a LONG way.  For that reason, most of the bottles of essential oils are fitted with a dropper system.  Basically, you turn the bottle on the proper angle and in the proper direction, and the oil drops out one little drop at a time, ensuring you get the proper amount.

For my insect repellant, I use a 32-ounce bottle, which means I use 30 drops of each of the six essential oils in its preparation.  Some of the dropper systems work great, and I can get my 30 drops out in no time.  Others don't work so well, and I find myself shaking the bottle fiercely in an attempt to get the oil to come out.  This can cause a simple, five-minute task to become ten minutes of tedious bottle-shaking and name calling.  In many ways, I prefer the bigger bottles that don't have a dropper.  While portion control is much more difficult, getting the oil to come out is a lot easier.

Aren't you glad that when God pours out His love, grace, mercy and forgiveness, He doesn't use a dropper?  Instead, He uses a bucket.  He doesn't sprinkle us.  He drenches us.  Abiding under the shelter of His wings is like standing out in a torrential downpour.  We become saturated, not with water, but with all things good that God wants us to have.  Need strength to face the day?  He'll give it.  Need wisdom to say the proper thing at the proper time.  He'll provide it.  Need guidance in making an important decision?  He'll lead the way.

I know there are bottles in Heaven because one of the psalmists recorded that God keeps our tears in a bottle.  Whether or not there are other bottles, who knows?  But I'm inclined to think that, like a medieval apothecary shop, there are shelves lined with bottles.   If we were to examine the bottles, we would see that each one contains a label.  Grace.  Mercy.  Forgiveness.  Strength.  These are just a few.  But upon closer examination, we would also discover that the bottles contain no stoppers or droppers.  They're intended to pour!

Whatever you need today, God has it in abundance, and He is both willing and able to give it to you.  Tell Him what you need.  Ask what you will.  And then get your umbrella.  The downpour is coming!

That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. - Ephesians 3:16-21

No comments: