Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Haunting Truth

Last Friday evening, on our anniversary, Jason and I went on a ghost tour in downtown Greenville.  Now please, before you label me a heretic, understand that I do not believe in ghosts, spirits or the paranormal. As for unexplainable events that occur, I believe that is the work of Satan and his demons.  Nevertheless, I enjoy a good ghost story as much as the next person, not to mention, I was certain the tour would reveal interesting information about Greenville that I didn't know.  And it did!

There were only four of us, plus the guide, on the tour, so we were able to have more interaction and to cover more information.  It was actually a lot of fun, and if you've never been on one, I highly recommend it.  I did learn some interesting things that were woven within the stories of ghosts and hauntings.

Unfortunately, a few sad truths came to light during the tour as well.  For starters, I discovered just how many people throughout any given year were taking these tours.  People were paying to hear an hour and a half of ghost stories when they won't enter the church to hear a message about salvation for free.  Secondly, as the guide was talking about the popularity of his book on the paranormal and his many interviews with talk shows and radio programs, I realized that, as a whole, the population seems far more interested in hearing about the paranormal than they do about hearing the truth.  You write a book about ghosts, ghouls, and spirits, the television and radio shows come to you begging for interviews and giveaways.  On the other hand, you write a book about the truth of God's Word, and those same people avoid you like the plague.

I just don't get it.  How can people believe in ghosts but not in the Holy Spirit?  Why do people put so much credit in personal accounts of hauntings yet mock those of us who believe the Creation account?  Why are so many people being drawn to the dark instead of the light?  What is wrong with this picture?

Even though I had a good time with Jason Friday night, these thoughts sadden me.  No, more than that, they trouble me, for they evidence just how far the world has fallen.  And I wonder, is there anything we can do about it?

As I pondered that question this morning, one word kept coming to mind:  shine.  When the world is dark, shine.  When people can't find the way, shine.  In a population that is stumbling and searching in the darkness, shine.  But alas, I am like the moon--I have no light of my own.  Fortunately, the Lord dwells within me, and there is no greater light.  If I will step aside and allow Him to shine through me, perhaps some light will be shed on these haunting truths.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven. - Matthew 5:16

No comments: