Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, July 15, 2013

Tightened Cords

What is hope?  In the days in which we live, the word "hope" seems to have such a limited meaning compared with its usage several years ago.  For many, the word "hope" is synonymous with the word "wish." I hope it doesn't rain.  I hope I get the job.  I hope the deposit goes through before the bills come out.  I hope.  I wish.  I desire. I want these things to happen, but in truth, it's only wishful thinking.

But if you actually look up the word "hope," you'll discover that it means "to cherish a desire with anticipation, to desire with expectation of obtainment, or to expect with confidence." It goes far beyond wanting to the realm of expecting. And it is this true hope that that is one of the greatest gifts God bestows upon us.

In fact, I came across a quote that describes the role hope plays in our lives. It is beautifully written and paints an exquisite picture of the Christian life. I'd like to share that quote with you today:

Failure will hurt but not hinder us. Disillusion will pain but not dishearten us. Sorrows will shake us but not break us. Hope will set the music ringing and quicken our lagging pace. We need hope for living far more than for dying. Dying is easy work compared with living. Dying is a moment's transition; living, a transaction of years. It is the length of the rope that puts the sag in it. Hope tightens the cords and tunes up the heartstrings. Work well, then; suffer patiently, rejoicing in hope. God knows all, and yet is the God of Hope. And when we have hoped to the end here, He will give us something to look forward to, for all eternity. For "hope abideth." – Babcock


Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance. - Psalm 42:5

No comments: