Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Thursday, July 18, 2013

What Do You Want?

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple. - Psalm 27:4

I have to be honest with you, when I read the first phrase of this particular verse, I'm overwhelmed with shame.  The psalmist said, "One thing have I desired of the Lord."  Just one?  I fear if I had written this psalm, the first verse would read, "Many things have I desired of the Lord, and those will I seek after; that I may have money beyond my wildest dreams, a beautiful log cabin nestled on 100+ acres of rolling pasture land complete with rivers and waterfalls, perfect health for me and my family, a couple of nice 4x4 vehicles, lovely clothes that suit my glamorous new figure, and to see my books as New York Times bestsellers.  Oh, and I would like to get to know You better too, Lord."  It just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?

The psalmist was basically saying that if he could have salvation and all the benefits that came with it, he would be content.  He didn't need anything else.  He didn't want anything else.  The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. (Psalm 23:1)  Eternal salvation was prize enough.  After all, it was more than he deserved.  It's more than any of us deserve.  Yet, we often treat it so flippantly.  "Yes, I'm saved, and I know I have heavenly treasures waiting, but for now, I'd like some treasures here on earth too."  Don't you know that's a slap in God's face?  It's like saying, "Thank you, Lord, for the great sacrifice You made at Calvary.  I know it cost You Your Son, but somehow You thought I was worth it.  I really do appreciate it.  Now, if you could just see fit to peruse this list of wants and needs I have and see what You can do about it, I'd really appreciate it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my salvation.  I'd just be happier if You'd give me this other stuff too."  Yikes!  It hurts when we get down to the bare bones, doesn't it?

Please don't misunderstand.  I don't think it's wrong for us to have dreams and desires.  What's wrong is that we tend to place our happiness and contentment on those dreams and desires and fail to recognize that the greatest treasure of all is already in our possession (if you're saved, of course).  We complain about our lack while forgetting to praise the Lord for all our many blessings.  We focus on what we don't have instead of on what we do.  And in the process, the thing that matters most is overlooked and unappreciated.

One thing have I desired of the Lord.  If you were to write this psalm from an honest heart, what would it say?  One thing?  Many things?  The right things?  The wrong things? 

What do you want today?  What do you desire more than anything else?  The answer may surprise or even convict you, but it is a question that needs to be asked nonetheless.  Why?  Because according to the gospel of Matthew, where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.  Where's your heart today?

No comments: