Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, November 4, 2013

Facing the Seas of Life


Yesterday I took my dogs out to Lake Wattacoo. At one point, I stood at the edge of the water and looked across to the other side. Even though the lake is rather small, the distance across the water was rather intimidating. I began to wonder what the Israelites must have felt as they stood on the banks of the Red Sea.

Knowing me, my first thought would have been, Okay, whose idea was it to come this way? On the heels of that thought would come feelings of fear and panic, not to mention total uncertainty. Before long, I would be reaching for the closest chocolate bar or caffeinated beverage (both essential items of any First Aid kit).

In my mind's eye, I can see the multitude with hands on hips and questioning glances. "Now what?" they ask in unison. And Moses, without a pause or a stutter gives them a faith-filled answer:

Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever. The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace. - Exodus 14:13-14


You know, there are a lot of "Red Sea" times in life. Many times we stumble down our paths only to find an obstacle in front of us and an army of fear and failure behind us. During those times, what is our initial response? Do we blame, fear, complain, or trust? Do we allow our fear to take charge, or do we stand firm in our foundation of faith?

Because of Moses' faith, all the Israelites were able to cross on dry land and the armies of Pharaoh perished. What could God do with our faith? I don't know about you, but I'd like to find out!

No comments: