Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Friday, December 20, 2013

The Names of the Lord - The Everlasting Father

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. - Isaiah 9:6

Okay, you may want to grab some Tylenol before we try to tackle this one.  This verse in Isaiah is obviously foretelling the birth of Jesus Christ.  The baby in a manger.  The son of Mary.  The Son of God.  The everlasting Father?  How can one Person be both the Son and the Father.

The Trinity is a concept that always gives me a headache if I try too hard to wrap my brain around it.  It's simply impossible for my poor brain to comprehend.  Three in One.  The fact that the Father can also be the Son.  How God the Father could forsake God the Son on Calvary.  The entire thing just baffles me.  I believe it is so, but I certainly don't understand it.

And if the title "Father" isn't baffling enough in this passage, Isaiah throws in the adjective "everlasting."  You talk about something that will get your brain turning!  Everlasting means without beginning or end.  I can't fathom that.  I get confused watching movies and shows dealing with time travel, so you can imagine my dilemma in trying to understand God who lives outside of time.  There are no watches, clocks or calendars in Heaven.  God doesn't need them.  He's a big God and is not contained within the limits of time.

In fact, He is currently everywhere at all points in time.  He is with me as I type this post, but He's also witnessing the very first Christmas while simultaneously watching the death of His Son on Calvary.  It's all one big picture to Him, and that truly boggles the mind.  I guess, though, it serves as an excellent reminder that Jesus is Wonderful and the mighty God.

The everlasting Father -- what a concept!

No comments: