Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Monday, January 6, 2014

Was Blind But Now I See

He was not the first man to drive the ordinary car around the race track.  He was not the fastest or the most outrageous.  He was not a well-known star like all the others.  Yet, there was still something that set his accomplishment above and beyond all the rest.  For Billy Baxter, driving a car had been an everyday activity--that is, before he was blinded by a rare eye disease.  Yet even with his infirmity, not only did he successfully race the car around the track, but he did it faster than two of the earlier participants who were not blind.

Let's face it, it's not every day that a blind man drives a car.  And it's certainly not a typical day when a blind man races around a track at excessive speeds, twisting right, then left, all while avoiding obstacles and following the directions of one of the show's hosts who rode in the passenger seat of the car.  When asked about his success, Billy basically told the host of the show, "I had to literally put my life in your hands and follow your instructions.  I couldn't see the track, so I had to trust in you not to lead me astray."

Shortly before watching this amazing accomplishment on television, I heard a song that spoke to my heart.  In fact, I posted it as today's song of the day.  The tag line states, "When you can't trace His hand, trust His heart."  How well that went right along with the blind driver--at least, in my mind.  You see, I struggle with accepting things that I cannot see.  When I can't see the master plan, I panic.  When I can't figure out how I'm going to pay next week's bills, I worry.  When I can't see how the current storm will work for my good, I doubt.  If I can't figure it out, then something must be wrong.  Did God mess up?  Did He fall asleep?  Is He not paying attention to what's going on down here?  And so, my spiritual blindness keeps me in the dark.  In a dark mood.  With a dark attitude and outlook.  Pouting about my blindness.

Instead, I need to be more like Billy Baxter.  I need to put my life in God's hands and trust that He won't lead me astray.  I need to listen and heed His directions instead of balking every time something doesn't make sense to me.  When I can't see the whole plan, I need to trust that God has everything under control.  And as the song says, when I can't trace His hand, I need to trust His heart.  I have His promise that He is working all things for my good (Romans 8:28).  He has assured me that He has great plans for me and that those plans are not plans of evil (Jeremiah 29:11).  I know He loves me and wants what's best for me.  In short, I guess I need to focus on what I know instead of what I don't, what I can see instead of what I can't.

I'm not one for making New Year's resolutions, but this year, I think I may make an exception.  Lord, please help me to be like Billy Baxter--to place my life in your hands and trust you with my path.

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. - Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments: