Sign up to receive these devotions in your inbox daily!
* indicates required

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How Big Is Your God?

During my weekly grocery trips, I've been trying to witness to a young cashier.  He seems to always be working the register when I shop, so regardless of the line, I get in his lane and hope to continue my witness where I left off.  He is a kind and pleasant young man (probably early college age).  He is polite and well-mannered.  He speaks to each customer and always has a smile.  And unlike most cashiers, he doesn't become close-mouthed when I work Jesus into the conversation.  In some ways, he seems to be knowledgeable of God and the Bible, but in other ways, he leads me to believe that either he serves another "god" or he simply doesn't know and understand the one, true God.

For example, on two separate occasions, he has made a comment about things being up to us and how we have to help God out.  His words were, "After all, He's busy and has a lot to do."  Both times, I was quick to speak up, "Ah, but you see, that's one of the wonderful things about God.  He's never too busy for me.  No matter what else is going on in the world, my God is big enough to take care of that and help me with my problems too.  He doesn't need my help, but He often allows me to take part in His work."  From there, the cashier simply smiles and wishes me a good day.  I smile back, thank him for his kindness and remind him that the true God is never too busy.

Still, each time I walk away, my heart is broken for this young cashier and others like him who have such a low opinion of such a mighty God.  Where does such a concept come from?  When did the all-powerful God get placed in such a small box?  And with that being the case, is it any wonder there are so many who do not know God?  After all, if He's so limited that He can only help one person at a time, what could He possibly do that they couldn't do themselves?  How very sad!

I want to let you know today that I serve a great and wonderful God who is not limited by time or space.  He is almighty, and nothing is beyond Him.  No matter is too great (example:  the walls of Jericho), and no matter is too small (example:  allowing me to find a close parking space this morning so I didn't get drenched in the rain).  My God is never too busy to answer me, although I sometimes have to wait for His perfect timing.  He is always present and knows exactly what is going on in my life.  He can hold my hand while maintaining the orbit of each planet and coordinating each breath and heartbeat and lunar cycle.  He is never stumped by my problems nor surprised by my actions.  He sees all, hears all, knows all.

If this God that I have described is not the same god you are serving, I beg of you, come to know the one, true God.  He is the only One who will never leave you nor forsake you.  He is the only One who can be with you every step of the way.  He is the only One who knows all and controls all.  And unlike the many false gods and/or god concepts, He cannot be placed in a box, but He can reside in your heart.  Make Him your Savior today.  You'll never regret it!

For those of you who do know the true God, are you spreading the word?  Are you telling others how great He is and what He has done for you?  If not, why not?  Isn't that the least we can do?  We have the opportunity to show others the real God, the One who cannot be placed in a shoebox or treated like the genie in Aladdin's lamp.  It is up to us to clear up this misconception that God is too busy holding the world together to have time for each individual.  We need to shout the message loud and clear, and if the world doesn't like it, so be it.  I'm tired of being ashamed.  I'm tired of being afraid to speak up.  I want the world to know I serve the true and living God!  Are you with me?

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible. - Matthew 19:26

No comments: